Thursday, October 31, 2013

interesting week......... don't know where to start..... a ver.

First off...... Sorry Parker. That must be really hard. [Parker's suffering with Bell's Palsy right now.] But don´t worry. It´s not permanent and physical disabilities are nothing compared to spiritual disabilities.

entonces [then]...... well Buenos Tardes a todos [Good afternoon everyone]. Lo Siento [I'm sorry] that it´s taken me so long to write, but my story will explain.
 
 So............ birthday. Gracias a todos [thanks to everyone] for all of the birthday wishes! Saturday was pretty normal. Elder D** and I went running in the morning and then we had service. Then in the afternoon we cleaned the chapel with the members and then we had a lesson/dinner with some members. It was a really good day but nothing special. Haha the hermana that makes us lunch everyday was so mad because the otro [other] elders didn´t remind her that it was my birthday and she and the branch president (her husband) always invite all of the missionaries in Guayara and they all have cake together, but she was so, so mad because she forgot. Their daughter was supposed to have her baby that weekend so that's probably why; but I wasn´t expecting anything, just a normal day and we had fun taking pictures that night.
 
But Sunday night. We had the first fireside with the branch that we´ve ever had, and it just so happens that the sister-in-law of the Bishop in my first area in La Merced was visiting her friend over the weekend and was there, so we got talking about that. (She lives there, too, in La Merced.) And guess what?! Remember D**, the 12 year old who got baptized in February and we were teaching his family, too? Well his parents, who the mom was so distraught because her husband had so many drinking/drug problems and that she wanted to leave with the kids to live somewhere else, and he wanted to change but never really did anything but was super scared that he would lose his family and that you guys were saying to me that one day D** would be the one to help all of his family accept the gospel.............. well, they got married on Friday, got baptized this last Saturday, and were confirmed on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!! I might have not been there, but it´s just as good knowing that they´ve all accepted the gospel together!
 
Well, as I was talking with this hermana about La Merced and everything that´s happened over there, one of the other missionaries of the branch gave me his phone and tells me that it´s the President´s Assistant. So that made me just a bit nervous, what did he want? The Assistant: ¨Elder llegó su cambio.¨ In other words: "You´re being transferred." Elder D** is going to be in a trio with the other Elders in Mamoré until the real transfers (which are this next Monday - I was transferred early)...... So then I started thinking why in the world I would be tranferred early...... I couldn´t be a secretary because they´re always Latinos, I couldn´t be the new assistant because I just don´t have enough time in the mission for that, and I´m not ready to be a zone leader yet...... The Assistant: "Elder, you´re the new mission secretary. You´re leaving tomorrow morning to come here to the offices........." I honestly didn´t hear the rest of everything he said because I was so shocked. So after that brief, unexpected phone call, the entire branch was just staring at me in silence haha. So I told them that I was leaving to go to the mission offices to be the new mission secretary and it was super sad and then they all sang ¨God Be With You Till We Meet Again.¨ Wow. It was really sad and really weird to say goodbye to everyone in Mamoré and I almost cried and the other Elders were crying (I´m not joking either) and then the members were crying and then it was a really really really really really really long night. It was definitely the longest night of my mission just sitting in bed so confused and wondering how that had all happened.
 
So then on Monday I was flying all morning to be here in Santa Cruz and everything has been super crazy and I feel so lost coming from small town Beni to the very center of big-city Santa Cruz. I´m not joking; everything feels like a dream, it´s just not real. But it´s a really weird dream filled with delayed flights and baptismal records and the transfers that have to control this next Monday and passports and everything else that I don´t understand and yup. That´s my life for the next 3 to 6 months. Oh boy. I´m going to be so fat, too. So basically I´m in charge of everything travel, everything records, passports, visas, medical insurance, transfers, pouch, and I´m the President´s secretary and the first person that anyone talks to when they need to contact the mission and it´s so much stuff that my head hurts so bad it's ridiculous. Basically my job is so full of stuff to do that the south mission decided to split my job into 4 secretaries instead of just 1. My companion is the new financial secretary and he does lots of stuff too and the south mission split his job into 2, so basically the south mission has 6 secretaries and we´re just 2 here in the north haha! We don´t get to sleep either because lots of the flights leave super early in the morning or really late at night. And for the past 2 nights we´ve had people coming AND going all night long.
 
But I have my own stamp, so it´s all worth it.
 
Haha, no. I honestly don´t know what to think because I never wanted to be here in the offices, but it´s something different and I like change, but I don´t get to work normally (but we do proselyte in the nights after 4 or 5), but the President and his wife are really nice and I´m excited to work with them. But I´m here, so I´m going to enjoy it while I can. It´s just really different but really fun at the same time.
 
Oh ya, and it was Pdte Zambrano´s birthday yesterday, so we had a small party here in the office with some other folks and other missionaries from our zone after their interviews that they had. And la hermana Zambrano was getting everything together and we were all helping with everything to give a cake to Pdte Zambrano when he finished his interviews and in the end, it turns out that it was for me too haha! So everyone sang to us and we had cake and really good food.
 
And so yes. I´m currently sitting in the offices. It´s super late because we´ve had to do so many things today to get ready for the newbies that are arriving tomorrow and Saturday and then for the transfers Monday and Tuesday. And Pdte and Hma Zambrano are going to be in Peru all this next week so we have to run the show here, the 4 of us here in the offices (the assistants and the secretaries). And 3 of the 4 of us are new here so we´ll see how everything goes haha!
 
So now that this chapter´s finished, I´d like to add another story of a phone call I got this morning from the missionaries in Mamoré. Elder Z**: Elder, una consulta [a question]. What´s the direction of the lady who does the laundry?¨ Haha they would ask that haha! But after that, which they were actually serious about because they didn't know where to go to pick up their laundry haha, Elder D** told me something that we´ve been waiting almost a month to hear............ The hermano that was in Brazil is back in Guayaramerín!!!!!!!!!! AND they´ve paid almost all of their debts!!!!!!!!! And they still have more money that apparently he came back with lots of it. YES! I don´t even care that I´m not there (no, that´s a lie, I still want to be back in Guayara) but that doesn´t even matter because he got back and they´re super happy and Elder D* told me that they have a lesson with them planned for tomorrow night.
 
Basically, I´m just really happy and don´t even know what to do! I think I´ll finish the baptismal record that I still have to send to Salt Lake.
 
But tenga una buena noche [have a good night].
 
I asked Pdte Zambrano why I´m here en las oficinas [in the offices]. No joke, I really did ask him. He and Hermana Zambrano both were telling me that they didn´t know why, and that only I and the Lord know. I´ll be looking for that answer here soon because I´m still asking myself the same question.
 
Con mucho amor, (my companion finally finished up his stuff)
Elder Groneman
Secretary of the Mission
 

Guayarmerin



hauling wood

Elder Groneman & Elder D** by the Mamore River (Brazil is across the river)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment