Monday, June 17, 2013

Guayara

¡Buenos Día! Felicidades! Happy Father´s Day!

Father´s Day here was in January or February. One of the two I don´t remember, so nothing special this weekend for us. But sounds like you had a good day.
 
Yes, I am extremely happy to be here in Guayara. It´s one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever seen. No, I didn´t take a bus, I really wanted to, but Guayara has a new airport that´s about 30 minutes away from the city. I´ll have to take a picture of it when I leave. It´s a dirt field that´s been cleared of trees and has a shack. It´s actually less than a shack, more like a covering for a picnic area that´s been made of palm tree leaves, like most of the houses here, and has a counter to buy tickets, I think. Yup, just explained the entire airport. Field shack. A tiny airplane that flies in once or twice every day. I had a stop in Trinidad, but didn´t see anything. The plane on the way to Trinidad was full, all 16 of us, and the plane to Guayaramerín only had the 2 pilots, and the 4 passengers including me haha. Super bumpy plane ride. Loved it.
 
So I´m including some photos. [There were no photos! Bummer!!] The first one is from my last area a couple weeks ago in Cupesí. The other guy´s name is A and he´s headed for Chihuahua Mexico on a mission in July. This is one of the many times that we got lost in Cupesí haha.
 
The other is from Guayara with my new companion, Elder L from Santa Cruz. (He´s waiting for his visa to go to his mission in Venezuela). He´s on his 2nd transfer, so I´m finishing up his training. Oh ya, while I´m thinking about it, I´m also the District Leader. Don´t know how that one happened. But it´s good and I like helping out the other missionaries here. Really trying to improve my district, especially because we´re not in Santa Cruz, and sometimes that makes the missionaries think that they can get away with whatever because the President´s 1000 miles away...... Ya, workin on that haha. But in the picture is the river Mamoré and on the other side is Brazil. And yes, there are every type of wild animal that lives in the jungle. They do exist and live just outside the city. Lovin it. Fun fact: on the way to the city from the airport right after I got here, we saw a HUGE snake right in the middle of the road. It was already dead, so we got out and took pictures. Viva el Beni.
 
Funny enough that you should mention weird foods. I´ve now eaten the colon of a cow and the intestines, all stuffed with meat and rice. Tasty. Actually, I´m not a huge fan because it´s a little bit like the stomach, but it´s actually not bad and I wouldn´t mind having it again. (the intestines are better than the colon if you were wondering haha). Yes, we eat with a family everyday for lunch, yes there is a lady that we pay to do our laundry in a river. It´s much easier to pay someone, we don´t have time to do it by ourselves.
 
Ok, Betty. Yes, I was actually going to ask you about her today funny enough. I haven´t heard anything since the MTC and not going to lie, I´m a little worried. Sorry, I don´t know where she is, but can you find her? Gracias.
 
I got the last package you sent the other day! Everything was there except the lemonheads and 2 packages of oatmeal, but you said that you had to take a couple of things out right? It didn´t look like it had been fussed with at all. Thanks for the Tshirt and keychain!
 
Ok, so, it´s been a long time since I´ve given you all a good story, but I have one today that I´ve been thinking about all morning. There´s a family, la familia S, that´s been having the missionaries come to their house for 3 years or so. They´ve never gotten baptized and didn´t really have any desire to do so, but, like a lot of people, they´ve liked listening to the missionaries because they like ¨hearing the word of God in their home¨. Well, last week, we went to talk to the wife because Elder L told me that she´s easier to teach, but I soon found out how incredibly closed minded she was. But she said that she´s prayed several times to know if the church is true, if Joseph Smith was a prophet, and also if the Book of Mormon is true, and said that she´s never received any type of answer and doesn´t expect that she´ll ever get anything. She said that she feels the same in this church as she does in any other church and actually didn´t want this church anymore. Wow. I honestly didn´t know what to say for a second. But I was thinking about the Book of Mormon the whole time. I asked her a couple questions, and she told me that when she reads, she doesn´t understand anything. I told her that it´s really hard to ask if something´s true if you don´t understand that which you´re asking. So we told her that we were going to come back and read the Book of Mormon with her and receive her answer with her. She didn´t seem too happy about that, but said ok. So we came back a couple days later and she wasn´t there (I think she was avoiding us), but we taught her husband instead. He´s super hard to teach too because he doesn´t want to make any commitments to anything. Anyway, we returned yesterday and read 3 Nefi 11. They expressed several feelings, and long story short, we prayed with them. After their prayers, they sat there for 10 minutes thinking and listening. After they got back up and sat in their chairs, I didn´t know what to say, so I sat there for a minute more then asked her if she believed in everything the missionaries have said. Her answer: ¨Son.¨ AH! (they are.) chills. and her husband was crying a little bit and said the same thing. Their testimonies were incredible after that (they shared their testimonies with us) and we set a date so they can get married and get baptized the next day. That´s the story without too many details, but just know that it´s 1'0 times better than what I just wrote.
 
Wow. This gospel is true. I know it with all my heart. The Book of Mormon is true. It changes lives. I´ve seen it change the lives of the people here in Bolivia. I hope you´re all reading everyday, because this book is straight from our Heavenly Father.
 
¡Tenga un buen día!
Les amo a todos,
Elder Groneman
(and the other picture next week.... the computer hates my camera.)

No comments:

Post a Comment