Monday, December 16, 2013

¡Muy Buenos Días y Feliz Navidad!

¡Muy Buenos Días y Feliz Navidad! [Very Good morning and Merry Christmas!]

I say that because tonight´s our Christmas devotional and dinner with everyone in Santa Cruz. It should be fun and we´re really excited. And every zone has to have their choir and all to present some Christmas song at the devotional. It was the assistants´ idea, and then they´ve never practiced with our zone and who knows if they´ll even sing with us. They don´t know the song either. Awesome. But it´ll be good anyway. Our zone, Paraíso, is singing ¨Campanas de Navidad¨ (I heard the Bells on Christmas Day). Hardly anyone knew it. But we´re singing it because I had a vision the other week about this song and how it could be some huge dramatic experience haha, so when Elder B** (yes, my trainer, who´s also my zone leader now) asked me if I had anything in mind, I told him I had a vision and we just went with it haha. Yup, we´ll see how it goes. I´ve found that I can still hear lots of songs in my head and change them up and everything, but it´s gotten a bit hard to make my hands play what I´m hearing......... Ya, that was a little depressing and funny to see. But it´s all good now and should be awesome because every other zone is going to sing Joy to the World or Come All Ye Faithful. So we´ll be singing a song that nobody even knows.... so they´ll be forced to listen to us haha.
 
Well, that´s what´s going to happen today. And this week, once again, has been insane. It just never stops! Monday and Tuesday we were getting ready for Elder and Sister Bramwell who were coming in from Lima. Elder Bramwell is the area doctor for the 5 countries in our area of South America, and funny enough he was also my branch president in the CCM. So they came on Tuesday and were here on Wednesday as well. Tuesday they were with the south mission for half of the day and they were with us all day on Wednesday. It was fun to see them again and we got to show them around Santa Cruz. It was their first time here in Santa Cruz. We visited several clinics in the morning with them and then went shopping for a bit in the center plaza so they could get some souvenirs. I was with one of the assistants all day who´s also from the States and we went with Pdte y Hermana Zambrano. We were the translators because they don´t speak any Spanish. And then after an awesome lunch we went back to the offices so he could meet with some of the missionaries here who have had lots of medical problems. I was the translator ALL DAY LONG. Which was good and now I´m not afraid to go back to the states because my English comes back after a few hours and all was good. Then we finished up at about 8:45 with all of that and I thought that my companion and I were going to have to go back to the house because we usually have to be home at 9 or 9:30, but then Presidente asked us if we wanted to go to dinner with them too! Um.... no.... I think I´d like to go home instead...... Haha not. So we went to an awesome dinner and got home at 10:50!!! Rebel.
 
But it was fun and I wouldn´t mind doing that again.
 
Then Thursday was somewhat normal.... except for the fact that we had to go to the hospital 50 million times because we have some sicklings in the house that needed help.
 
Then on Friday we had an exchange with the Zone Leaders! Elder B** and Elder S**! Elder S** was in my district back in Guayaramerín and Elder B** was my first companion so it´s been fun to see them every week. And so because I´ve had so many exchanges with Elder S** that I don´t even know how many we´ve had, Elder B** came to Paraíso and Elder C** went with Elder S** to Los Angeles. Yup, you´ve gotta love the names here. So we planned everything so well on Thursday so that we wouldn´t have to go to the offices on Friday. And Pdte and the Assistants went to Cobija on Friday so we really wanted to use our time to teach. But in the morning we had to take the sicklings to the hospital again. There were 6 of us. 3 sicklings and 3 normal Elders that weren´t sick. (And one of the 3 was only normal because he had already recovered from his surgery haha). And so the 3 healthy Elders accompanied the 3 sicklings and all was good..... until they told each one of us that we had to go back in the afternoon..... all at the same time...... awesome. So then we went back at 3 and were there until 6. Then everything was good for the day and everyone had their medicines and todo bien. Elder B** and I then left for our first lesson at 6ish and we were almost there when the Assistants called me......... then we had to go to the offices. Awesome. We didn´t even teach on the exchange! But is was fun to talk to Elder B** again.
 
Also..... Elder C** got his Visa! So it´s kinda sad because he´ll be leaving really soon. It´s been really weird lately because the last secretary never had anyone that left for Venezuela in the 5 months that he was here, and now with the next 8 Elders that just received their Visas the other day, this is my 3rd group that´ll be leaving to Venezuela. Venezuela is just handing out Visas right now I guess. I don´t think my next companion will be one of those that are waiting Visas because the Visas are coming so fast right now and usually the Secretaries are here for awhile. Elder C** has only been here for 1 transfer. I´m pretty sure they´re calling my next companion today so that´ll be good to see who it is.
 
And this week is transfers. It´ll be another insane week. And Elder C** will be training the new secretary so I think I´ll take one of the sicklings and he´ll be my companion for the week. Should be good.
 
And yes! I got the last package and my companion was so happy when I gave him half of the mountain of gifts that was by my stuff. He says thanks. But really he was really really excited when I showed him the stocking and then took everything and put it in his arms and then he just stood there smiling not knowing what to say haha! We´re on day 3 right now. Thank you. It takes the stress out of my day to just rip something open and throw the paper on the floor haha. Ah! But Elder C** was opening the paper so slowly, so carefully trying not to rip it or take the color off of it with the tape. I asked him what he was doing and he looked at me weird when I took mine and ripped it open in 2 seconds. He asked me if it was some sort of tradition to open presents that way haha! And I just laughed and told him that that´s just what normal people do! Yes, the way he was opening them wasn´t normal, and I don´t even know why I´m taking so much time to talk about the way he opened presents, but it was killing me to see him take so much time... JUST OPEN IT ALREADY!!! [Mech just likes to open presents; he doesn't care what's in them, he just loves to open them!]

Bueno, moving on.
 
So I should probably talk about some spiritual stuff. We found a new investigator that was just awesome! He was telling us about how he was a die-hard Catholic before, but then he kinda drifted away due to some stuff that happened, but now he really wants to live righteously again and he was really interested in our little discussion about prayers and baptism. He immediately said that he wanted to get baptized and that he´d do whatever we asked him to do so that he could be ready for it. Um, what?! You just said what? I think you took my part haha. And then he accepted a baptismal date and said that he was going to come to church the following day. So we called him yesterday morning to go to church and his brother answered, who we also tried to teach before but he´s not as cool.... until yesterday when we got talking for awhile. But his brother had left and wasn´t there. Then he didn´t come to church. So we went to his house in the afternoon because that was already planned. His brother came to the door after we called him because no one answered. ¨Um, I don´t think it´d be a good idea to let you in right now. They´re partying because it´s my cousin´s birthday.¨ Awesome. We have more work than we thought.
 
Also, another story that´s probably better in terms of spiritual experiences. So we were in the store on Saturday (because our P-Day is actually Saturday instead of Monday because Monday is always super busy in the offices) and we were buying fruit when I met eyes with someone somewhat close by in a wheelchair. He waved me over and explained that he needed help. So I helped him with all of the fruit stuff that he needed and we got talking for awhile. He told me a story about someone who passed by a store everyday feeling bad and beating himself up because he couldn´t afford the boots that he so wanted that were in the store´s window. Then after several days of that (making the story short) he passed by the store once again feeling bad, then turning the corner ran into someone in a wheelchair without legs. After his story, we got talking a little bit and he thanked me for my help, but as we we were talking, he told me that he lived alone and was really alone in the world without anyone. It was actually really sad and I tried to offer him help and started talking a bit about the church and the restored gospel. He didn´t want it at all, which is his own choice. But what really made me think was something else that he said. He said that people in wheelchairs and people with disabilities are always there, but everyone always gives one look before turning away really fast because they don´t want to make them feel uncomfortable or don´t know what they can do to help, or for whatever reason it is, they basically ignore the people that need help. So it got me thinking because I was the same. He had to call me over because I didn´t go up to him to ask him what he needed. And how many more people are there out in the world that need our help and we´ve blinded ourselves and refuse to look for them? Go and find someone this week. Christmas is here and everyone needs to feel Christ´s love. And something that cousin Ryan told me in the papers that I got for my birthday the other month has been stuck in my head ever since I read it. He said that people will always be more interested in the gospel if they see and feel Christ working through us as we act instead of just talking about what Christ would do. (Something like that... sorry if I butchered it, but ya, something like that).
 
Well, hope everything´s good. Muchísimas gracias [Thank you so much] for the gifts, and thanks to Grandpa and Grandma too and Grandma Mecham y Aunt Linda too for everything! I really appreciate it.
 
Tenga una buena semana! [Have a good week!]
Elder Groneman

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment