Monday, February 24, 2014

What are we doing to progress?

First off, before I forget. I´ll now be writing on Saturdays instead of Mondays for the rest of the time that I´m here in the offices. It´s because our P-day is Saturday because Monday is always busiest here in the offices, but we´re going to start writing on Saturdays too because it takes up precious time on Monday.

But Buenos Días!

This week went by really really really fast. I just realized that I´ve been here for 4 months already and I´m almost to the point where I´ve been here longer than any other area, including Guayara, which is really weird to think about because even though the time went really fast there, it was still a really long time that I was there in one area. Weird stuff. We´re thinking that Elder L** and I will still be here for another transfer. Elder V** is headed home soon, but Elder L** extended his mission until July so he´s probably got another tranfer here too now. And that´s ok with me because I´m positive that the familia L** and one other family are going to get baptized here really soon.

Four of the familia L** came to church again yesterday, The oldest daughter brought her friend again and they were asking about baptism again. After they lost their baptismal dates because of the different things that happened when the family went to Oruro, we haven´t been able to talk about any other baptismal dates... .. but we got talking to Presidente Zambrano last night about the family, and he gave us some really specific suggestions to help out the parents.  I think la familia G** gave me the patience that I need now with la familia L**.

And yup, things are gettin pretty crazy around here because it´s Carnival again. Don´t know if you all remember last year when we couldn´t write one week because we were in the house for 3 1/2 days, but ya, that´s this week. Saturday afternoon until Wednesday morning. Last year in Plan 3000 it was super crazy and really dangerous and we always heard how crazy everything was in el centro. Well now that I´m in the dead center of the city, yes, I can tell you that it really is just as crazy as they all say. Basically Carnival started in el centro 2 weeks ago haha. But it´s slowly getting worse and I can´t even imagine what it´s going to be like this weekend... It´s a horrible holiday.

Not a whole lot has been going on. Things have calmed down a little. It´s not raining as much as it was either. We didn´t get to teach a lot this week, but the stake had a priesthood conference yesterday and it was awesome! Poco a poco [little by little] the Lord´s hastening His work. I feel like I should put some spiritual thought here, but there´s just so much stuff in my head right now that I´m not sure what. A ver [let's see]. We´re going to try to mix in a whole bunch of stuff that I learned this week.

So the other day I was with Elder N** again (one of the Elders that I was with in Guayara. He´s in Santa Cruz right now for Visa stuff) and while I was waiting for some emails from a lawyer, we got talking to Presidente Zambrano about some questions that we had... which turned into a huge 4 hour discussion with just us and the mission president. Sometimes I really like being in the offices haha. But ya, after awhile, we got talking about how everything in the world is changing so fast right now. Sometimes I feel like it´s just me and that I´m seeing things different because I´m in a mission and all and I´m definitely changing as a person, but sometimes it just feels like the members are changing so fast and mission work is changing and basically that everything is so focused right now in serving others in such a way that I´ve never seen before. So we got talking about that and Pdte Zambrano showed us lots of conference talks about the last days and scriptures that talk about the second coming and such. Basically yes, things are changing really really fast. And it´s not like that´s anything new, but really, can´t you just feel it?.... so that brings me to my next thought. If everything is changing so fast, what happens to us if we aren´t changing too? Other people are progressing and understanding the scriptures in a different way than before and finding answers to prayers and everything because they know that they have a part in this whole plan. So what are we doing to keep from falling behind? Eternal progression. There´s no reason to stop progressing and be satisfied with what we have when there´s still more to do. There´s ALWAYS something more to do to serve someone else in a way that we haven´t served before..... next thought. Elder L** showed me part of a conference talk yesterday that talks about bridges. It´s from President Monson when he was the first counselor to Pres Hinckley. He sites some news reporter or someone that I don´t remember what his name is, but he says ¨Moses didn´t descend from Mount Sinai with the 10 Suggestions, but with the 10 Commandments.¨ (something like that... I´ve heard the quote before, but don´t remember how it is in English... but you get the point.) So a question that´s been in my mind: Why are we so afraid to just live the gospel and follow the Commandments? They come from God! It´s a way to have happiness and peace and blessings! Why, then, is it so hard to just try something new? Change something to be in line with the teachings of Christ? Allow Him to enter into our hearts? Step out of the comfort zone to be a better person? If we do it, He´s there waiting for us, and that should be reason enough. I know that I´m the biggest hypocrite in this, but really, why are we just so afraid of doing good things? We´ll be blessed! And even better, others will be blessed!

Even being the hypocrite that I am in this, it´s still my invitation to ask yourself what it is that holds you back from being a better person. Then put that thing or feeling or person or whatever it may be aside and go where your Heavenly Father wants you to go. Maybe it´s hard, but there´s nothing better.

I think more than anything that I´ve learned this week is how I´ve changed as a person. Most people would say that it´s just because I´m on a mission and things are different here and I can be more focused here and that it´ll all change when I get back. BUT. Aren´t we all missionaries? Don´t we all have the opportunity to repent and be better people? Can´t we all share the news of the best happiness imaginable? We can share it by how we act. Others see that. Here in the mission, those who don´t have testimonies are sometimes impelled to be good and do good things and live the gospel. Back at home you all have the choice. Choose to be better people. Choose to live the gospel. Choose to share it with others. Choose to find what Christ has in store for you. Choose to break the restraints of the world and move forward with the gospel.

Love you all.
Still enjoying my time and don´t want to be home para nada [for nothing].
Con amor y preocupaciones por qué rápido está pasando el tiempo [With love and worries why time is rapidly happening/passing],
Elder Groneman

...Oh ya, I´m supposed to say that I won´t be writing next week because of Carnival...... but I´ll be writing on Saturday from now on instead haha!
.....enjoy the book I wrote.




No comments:

Post a Comment