I´m in South America!! Made it safely, everything's all right and I
love it here! Our plane landed at about midnight (we're 2 hours ahead)
and didn't get to bed until maybe 3 or so... But right as we got out of
the airport, BAM! Visions of Cambodia. Even though Peru isn't even third
world, it's still not the US, which means I love it! The CCM here is
very very small compared to Provo, which makes it even better in some
ways! I met President Cardon at the airport yesterday and talked with
him for awhile because I got through immigration with two other Elders
really fast, so we had to wait for everyone else. I asked him some
things about Bolivia, and he didn't know very much, except that they
haven't had foreigners in my mission for awhile because the government
is so unstable and it's not a very safe place. So my mission is really
dangerous, awesome! And I asked him about the horse thing (did I tell
you about that over the phone?) Anyways, I'm sending a letter that I
wrote on the plane, so that'll probably explain more, but he said that
he doesn't know if the missionaries still ride horses in my mission, but
they used to, so there's a good chance that they still do!
But Peru is beautiful! I asked one of the ladies working here if
she knew Elder Montgomery, and she got a huge smile on her face, and
then I don't know what she said... I know that the MTC and temple here
are in the Lima East Mission, and we saw the temple last night for about
5 seconds. My Spanish better come quickly, because most of the
native-speakers don't speak any English and so my new companion (Elder
Porter) and I really don't know what's going on today haha! So now it's
real. Bye America! Not comin' back for 2 years!
Oh ya, really fast before I forget... You know the surprise talks
that we give in sacrament meetings back in Provo? Ya, that was me this
week... Even though everyone told me that I wouldn't have to because it
was fast Sunday next week, so they'd have the oldest district give talks
because they were leaving that week so this last Sunday was their last
chance to talk... And also that they never had anyone speak if they were
just switching MTCs. But no. They called on me to speak. So I gave a
just-over-4-minutes talk in Spanish! And then after, I found out that
there were still 4 out of the 8 missionaries that had never given talks
in the oldest district, and the next district in between us hasn't had
any of their missionaries give the surprise talk!!! So whatever, I guess
it just makes me a little better than them, a little more spiritual, my
wife is better looking than theirs, and it makes me better at Spanish
than them. Chiste...[Mom's note: I looked up "chiste" which means "the joke". Relief, I thought he was getting a little full of himself there!]..... Oh well, it was funny anyways because I didn't
really know half of the words I was saying anyways haha!
Anyways, adios! Peru is great! And they made me have another haircut even though I had one two days ago.
But seriously, the MTC here is way better than Provo! There's only
114 total missionaries here after the rest of the Latinos arrive today..
Quite a change from the 2600 back in Provo haha!
Mucho amor,
Elder Groneman
Oh, and some more... people really have a lot to write this morning
i guess.... so I'll write some more too... I came over with about 15
other Americans, and most of us are going to either Ecuador or Bolivia,
and there's a few going to Peru, but ya, I met all of the other
missionaries going to Santa Cruz, so there's maybe like 10 of us?
Something like that... My companion is from Rock Springs, WY, and they
give all the N. Americans N. American companions, but they put both N.
Americans and Latinos in the same room so that we're forced to talk with
each other. Which will help a ton! Because our roommate knows almost no
English whatsoever.
No comments:
Post a Comment