Monday, January 21, 2013

First Area

Happy Birthday Mom and Parker! I swear I didn't forget last week! Well I guess I did, but only during email, and then I felt so bad right after we left and oh well, it had to wait another week, but Happy Birthday!

This week was definitely better than last week, mainly because we actually know people in the area now and are somewhat on a regular schedule now, besides the fact that we spent from 5am to 7:30 pm on Thursday at immigration and another 5 hours on Friday as well for Elder Barrett´s visa because they originally only last for a month and then we can renew them for a year or something like that. Anyway, we sat in a line forever, and after awhile, I felt impressed to talk to the lady sitting next to me. I turned to her and asked if she wanted something to read, she said yes, so I handed her a Book of Mormon haha. She literally opened it and started to read, so I asked if she knew what it was. She looked all confused at what it was, so I started to explain it to her, which led into an hour discussion about a ton of stuff about our church and our beliefs! My companion didn't step in until the very end when he noticed that I didn't know exactly how to answer one of her questions in Spanish, but other than that, I talked to her all by myself for the entire time. IN SPANISH!

 Other than that, we did absolutely nothing all day because I got sick that night after we got home. It wasn't bad at all, and Hermana Caulderón said that several of the other missionaries that sat in the sun waiting for their companions all day were sick too. I was just fine the next morning, so ya... No major sicknesses for me so far!

It's really hard to get past the fact that I can't help people when I know what I want to say to them, and I understand them, but I can't speak to them. I'm learning patience very fast. It's also somewhat hard to teach with my companion because he doesn't let the investigators talk at all! I ask them a question to make them think and such, then after one sentence, he jumps right in and goes off for 10 minutes while they start to fall asleep after they realize that they're not going to be able to say what they want to. Anyway, I'm trying not to be critical and all because I know that I'm new and probably do some other things like that, too, that he wants to correct me in, but it's hard sometimes knowing that he's new, too, and has only been out here in the field for 3 months. Oh well, we've had some really really good lessons that make up for everything else.

Ok, my house doesn't have an address, like most places in our area, so sorry, can't give you an address. But we're close to the chapel that's close to the intersection Municipal and Internacionál in the Southeastern part of the city. Our ward is La Merced, La Merced stake as well. Sorry, that's basically all I know haha!

So the pictures! The first two are right outside our house looking down our street. I took these last week but didn't have time to send them. You can't see our house in it at all. The other three are from last night as we were trying to get to our teaching appointments that all fell through. But we have a sister getting baptized on Saturday! And possibly a family of 5, but honestly i don't think they will.. They're not ready yet. Ya these were taken in the more open parts of our area.. There aren't many of them, but you can see more in those areas and it makes the sky look cool haha! Anyway, that's what our area looks like. And keep in mind that we're in the city and our area has more money than most of our mission.

It doesn't rain as much as [your app] says it does haha! We've only had rain the first 3 or 4 days that I was here in Santa Cruz, and the first entire week we hardly had any clouds, but that was unusual for them apparently and all the locals said that it was very hot. So that's good because it was VERY hot. This week has been much better, but we still don't really have the rain yet.

Anyway, out of time.. Hope I answered all your questions, but all is well and I love you all!

Love,
Élder Groneman




No comments:

Post a Comment